Saturday, February 28, 2015

The notion of offspring goes pretty standard with marriage. Although

The notion of offspring goes pretty standard with marriage. Although some couples choose to avoid children at all costs, millions of others can wait to begin parenthood. It's just an innate part of our physical make-up. I believe that virtually everyone wants to have their genes and family name carried on, but some don't care for the responsibility that goes along with it. Unfortunately you can't have one without the other. But, what about the minority of couples who crave that parenthood status, only to find out that it's not a possibility? This can be heart-crushing, I'm sure. My aunt went through this very ordeal. I watched the toll it took on her as a woman. On the bright side of the coin, there are baby adoptions. This is an alternative to giving birth yourself, and believe it or not, some couples actually prefer it.

When we think baby adoptions, we often picture celebrities. Or at least I do. I can't help but ponder images of Angelina Jolie and her cute little Asian baby. Or there's Tom Cruise and his adopted children. Steven Spielberg also adopted several children if I remember correctly. This is a wonderful option for those who cannot have offspring of their own. Consider it a second chance. I will admit that I had certain hang-ups regarding baby adoptions. I have always wanted my children to be MY children. I wanted to look at them and physically see myself in their features. Call this vanity or pride, but it's a legitimate desire nonetheless. I think it's one that many parents or potential parents share. There's definitely something sacred and incomparable about it. However, genes aren't everything. Clearly if you raise adopted children from infants, you will see a part of you in them. It's only natural, because you're the one who chose to be their teacher. Their mannerisms, speech, idiosyncrasies, and knowledge will come from you. Maybe much more than you realize.

Consider baby adoptions if you would like a child of your own, but cannot. There are so many children who lack proper homes, and crave the love you have to offer. This is what being a parent is all about. It's not just about genetics. There is much more to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment